Follow NFSC News on Gettr | Gnews on Gettr
Translated by: MOS English Team-Jack H

On May 15, Taiwan Government officially announced the highly contagious Omicron virus escaped its impressive contact tracing system, and the era of “Zero Covid” is over.

Image Source: brookings

Former Vice President of Taiwan Chen Chien-jen said the “real world data” had been provided to Taiwanese people in the past four weeks, which showed Omicron was “not that scary.”

In Taiwan, more than 99.75% of confirmed cases are asymptomatic or mild, and within the remaining 0.25% cases, only a small percentage are severe.

Chen Chien-jen, who is an epidemiologist graduated from Johns Hopkins, is one of Taiwan’s most influential voices on Covid-19 policy. He said Taipei is now learning from Australia and New Zealand, and believed Taiwan should be able to open to the world by July.

Image Source: yahoo

This week, Chen represented Taiwan to attend the White House’s Global COVID-19 Summit. He said Beijing’s “Zero Covid” attempt is an “impossible mission” and it is unreasonable that try eliminating Omicron.

Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida said Japan would open its border by June last week, while South Korea already did so in April.

As Taipei and Tokyo are preparing for opening, on the contrast, Beijing ordered more extreme measures to eradicate virus, as Xi Jinping recently made it clear that he won’t change the “dynamic clearing” policy he signed.

Image Source: theaustralian

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of the World Health Organization, this week called on China to change its hawkish attitude against the Covid. However, the censorship in Beijing purged Tedros’s remarks from the highly regulated Chinese internet.

Reference:
https://gnewsapp.com/post/p2537951/

Edited by:  MikeHua
Posted by: Peter Chen

For more information, please follow us at:
NFSCNews | Gettr
Gnews | Gettr
New York MOS Himalaya | GETTR
New York MOS Himalaya |YouTube
Free to Join New York MOS Himalaya | Discord