1.Michele Sison, Assistant Secretary of State for the Bureau of International Organizations of the U.S. Department of State, revealed when she met Su Yingjun, Director of the Taiwan Office in Geneva on the evening of the 10th, that she had earlier reiterated to WHO Secretary-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus that Taiwan would attend the WHO. Conference expectations.
2. Lam Cheuk-ting, a former legislator, charged with conspiracy to subvert state power for participating in the pro-democracy “35+ primary election”, was again denied bail by the court today (13th) after 14 months of detention.
3. For the first time in three years, Hong Kong has used its foreign exchange reserves to maintain its long-standing peg to the dollar, propping up the Hong Kong dollar amid a surge in the dollar. According to Hong Kong’s linked exchange rate system, the US dollar can fluctuate within a range of HK$7.75-7.85.
4. On Thursday, North Korea’s top leader Kim Jong-un suddenly announced the country’s first coronavirus infection, and the country entered a “highest state of emergency”. The Korean Central News Agency said on Friday that 187,000 people with unexplained fever were quarantined, and six people died, one of whom was diagnosed with an Omicron variant.
5. US President Joe Biden hosted leaders from 9 ASEAN countries on the 12th and promised to invest 150 million US dollars in assisting ASEAN in various aspects of development.
6. Australian Federal election will be held on May 21. As a significant regional power in the Asia-Pacific region and the most crucial Indo-Pacific ally of the United States, the bilateral relationship between Australia and China has become one of the focus issues of this election.
7. U.S. President Joe Biden is considering a trip to the demilitarized zone between North and South Korea when he visits Asia later this month, White House spokeswoman Psaki said on Thursday.
8. The Tom Lantos Human Rights Commission of the US Congress will hold an online hearing on Thursday (May 12) on China’s forced organ harvesting.
9. The CCP authorities recruited legal persons from various places to join the “military platoons for legal struggles”. Some analysts believe that this is a class struggle under the new situation, just like the Cultural Revolution 2.0.
10. On Friday (May 13) local time, Germany’s statistics department released a report saying that Germany’s food import prices soared in March as the conflict between Russia and Ukraine hit global agricultural supplies.
11. The collapse of the stable coin TerraUSD shook the cryptocurrency market, comparable to a “bank run”.
Original Link: https://gnews.org/post/p2521549/
Edited/Published by: Lish
More Information from Australia Melbourne Athena Farm：
Australia Melbourne Athena Farm Twitter：
Australia Melbourne Athena Farm Gettr：
Australia Melbourne Athena Farm YouTube
Australia Melbourne Athena Farm Discord