“TUNS means Temporary Undergraduate Nursing Students, i.e. part-time positions for nursing students.
Student nurses are in dire danger! People around me are all in tears!
Because the management is pushing student nurses to risk their lives at the frontline!
But so many people are still clueless!
- TUNS are non-essential staff. They don’t need to report for duty when the black rainstorm warning is up, let alone emergency level duties! And internees aren’t covered by insurance!
- Nursing internships were all suspended during 2003 SARS outbreak. The scale of WARS is exponentially greater than SARS. Student nurses should not be deployed for pneumonia patients!
Then why is the government coercing student nurses, even putting them to lot-drawing for working in isolation wards?
- Because they are trying to mitigate any effects of a potential medical union strike! Asking student nurses to take the jobs for regular nurses!
- The pro-government management is diverting the risks to the juniors.
If they force TUNS to work during the outbreak, what will be the consequences?
- There is a greater risk of a medical-error-prone due to inexperience.
- If, just in case, the epidemic goes out of control, these juniors would all die and the pro-government management would all head overseas.
That’s the end of the story. I’m going to contact lawmakers and labour unions now.
Please spread the word. Don’t let student nurses die!
Addendum: the document stated that student nurses shouldn’t be in the ward at all during the SARS outbreak.”