The dragon is the totem of the Chinese. The Chinese people often call themselves the “Descendants of Dragon”. The dragon symbolizes the supreme power of the emperor, and there are many dragon designs in the Forbidden City. The dragon is also a symbol of success, as the Chinese idiom says: “I expect my son to grow as a dragon.”
After becoming a Christian, I read some verses of the Bible and the Book of Revelation. I was surprised to find out that the dragon was Satan, as recorded in the following verse:
Now war arose in heaven. Michael and his angels fighting against the dragon. And the dragon and his angels fought back, but he was defeated, and there was no longer any place for them in heaven. And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world – he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him. (Rev. 12:7-9 ESV)
After joining the Whistleblower Movement, I found that the leader of the Whistleblower Movement, Mr. Guo, also promotes dragon culture, and one of Mr. Guo’s representative works of architecture, the Pangu Plaza, is a set of dragon-inspired skyscraper.
So, is the dragon evil? Let us examine this topic as below:
1. The New Testament mentions a dragon in the book of Revelation but specifies that it is a great red dragon. When Chinese talk about dragons, they often associate dragons with colors, such as the cyan dragon and the yellow dragon.
Another sign appeared in heaven: behold, a great red dragon, with seven heads and ten horns, and on his heads seven diadems. (Rev 12:3)
2. I could not find Bible verses with dragon in the Old Testament (note from proofreader: you can find this from Isaiah 27:1, 51:9, Ezekiel 29:3 etc.). However, a mysterious creature called the great sea creatures (original number 8577, translated as serpent in some places) refer to probably the dragons.
(1) This is the first living creature created by God and the only animal species listed in the process of creating.
God created the great sea creatures and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarm, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. God saw that it was good. (1:21)
We know that the “great sea creature” is a very noble creature in the water from this, and God made a distinction between it and other animals in the water, implying that it is the head of the living sea creatures and Ruler of the Waters.
(2) It has poison (Deuteronomy 32:33), can burst forth in the rivers, has claws, and can stir up the waters with its claws (note that it is a pond, but all waters) and foul the rivers (Ezek. 32:2), so it is obviously not simply a sea monster, but more like a dragon.
(3) The first miracle Moses performed in front of Pharaoh was to change his staff into a serpent. Note that the word of serpent in the Bibles also refers to “great sea monster”. It will be a miracle to the Pharaoh, imagine that a dragon appears out of thin air and soars around the palace like in the movie scenes.
(4) Psalm 148, which calls on all creatures to praise the Lord, also mentions “sea monster” in verse 7, that is the same word. This verse shows that the creature is not evil, otherwise there would be no need to call it to praise God as well.
In summary, I can conclude that the “great sea monster” mentioned in the Old Testament is most likely the dragon. The dragon is powerful and the most renowned in the Waters. It is not evil by nature, although there are evil ones, such as the red dragon in the Book of Revelation, and God’s judgement of the “great sea monster” is also recorded elsewhere in the Bible.
Since David called upon the great sea monster to praise the LORD in Psalm, we can also use the dragon, or the image of the dragon, or the symbol of the dragon, etc. to serve the Whistleblower Movement and take down the Chinese Communist Party. May God bless us.
(The article represents only personal opinions.)
Chinese version: https://gnews.org/zh-hans/916021/
Disclaimer: This article only represents the author’s view. Gnews is not responsible for any legal risks.