On Sept 11, 2019, Hongkongers suspended all protests amidst the heat of the Anti-ELAB Movement, in order to mourn the victims of the 9/11 Terrorist Attack in the U.S.
However, CCP netizens had a different take according to the statements they post on social media:
- “The freedom of speech enjoyed by Morey is the same as the freedom to support the 9/11 [Terrorist Attack]”
- “I support 9/11 Terrorist Attack and the deceased anti-US fighter Bin Laden”
- “I think the 911 incident is a great battle for faith”
- “Support 9/11 [Terrorist Attack], this is justice”
- “I support Bin Laden’s operation to maintain world peace”
- “Hoping for another 9/11 every single day”
Some Chinese netizens even attached photos of the burning World Trade Center, which most people would find disturbing.
This came after Houston Rocket’s manager Daryl Morey raised concern over the encroachment of freedom in Hong Kong with his social media account.
Not only did Chinese companies threatened the NBA to drop their sponsorships, advertisements and broadcasts; China’s state broadcaster CCTV issued an open statement to condemn the NBA.
Despite the NBA’s commissioner Adam Silver kowtowing to China by apologizing, a huge number of CCP netizens voice support for the 9/11 terrorist attack on social media platform.
They also demanded NBA to fire Morey for posting “Fight for Freedom. Stand with Hong Kong” on his personal twitter.
Source: Setn, Taiwan