US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo held news briefing on September 2, 2020. He focused on the U.S.-China relationship almost the whole meeting and announced a series of sanctions and restrictions on the CCP government:
- US is to restore reciprocity to the U.S.-China relationship given that the CCP government has imposed significant barriers on American diplomats working inside the PRC.
- A mechanism requiring approval for senior Chinese diplomats in the United States to visit university campuses and to meet with local government officials. Cultural events with groups larger than 50 people hosted by the Chinese embassy and consular posts outside the Department of State’s mission properties will also require the Department of State’s approval.
- To ensure that all official PRC embassy and consular social media accounts are properly identified as government accounts, Chinese Government accounts.
- Sent a letter to the governing boards of American universities, altering them to the threats the CCP poses to academic freedom, to human rights, and to university endowments. Required them to disclose all PRC companies invested in endowment funds, especially those in emerging-market index funds.
- Divest from Chinese companies on the Commerce Department Entity List that are contributing to human rights violations, military coercion, and other abuses.
- Pointed out that the CCP is engaged in a clear and intensifying pattern of bullying its neighbors, from the Taiwan Strait, to the Himalayas, and beyond.
- Concerned about CCP government actions in Tibet and continued to call upon Beijing to enter into dialogue with the Dalai Lama or his representatives without preconditions.
Other announcements include:
- The imposition of economic sanctions against foreign persons directly engaged in ICC efforts to investigate U.S. or allied personnel, and those who materially assisted in those – in that effort.
- Secretary Pompeo is going to participate virtual meetings with ASEAN and Indo-Pacific counterparts next week.
Translator：【一花一世界】【挺郭皇太子】Subtitles：【文言】Technical Support：【Pamila（文明）】Proofreader & Editor：【Michelle】
Presented by the VOG Rose Garden Team