During the heightened tension between the US and CCP, the US government is in talks with Taiwan for the sale of four sophisticated drones according to a Reuters report:
Reuters mentioned the potential sale of SeaGuardian surveillance drones. Taiwan News media was excited about getting MQ-9 Reaper which got world attention for taking out the international terrorist and senior Iranian general Qassem Soleimani.
According to Taiwan media, here are some of the completed and pending weapon-purchase by Taiwan since last year with a transition from defensive to offensive weapons:
- 180 M1A2 Abrams tanks for modern armored ground warfare
- 66 F-16V (4th Generation Fighter) and 100 newer version
- 250 FIM-92 Stinger launch system, a man-portable air-defense system that operates as an infrared homing surface-to-air-missile, and 1300 Stinger missiles.
- M142 HIMARS (High Mobility Artillery Rocket System)
- Harpoon (AGM-84), an all-weather, over-the-horizon, anti-ship missile, developed and manufactured by McDonnell Douglas. Some of them might be deployed to Bashi Channel, a waterway between Y’Ami Island of the Philippines and Orchid Island of Taiwan.
- M109A6 (Paladin)
- 4 MQ-9 drones (pending)