Aug 5, 2021
Ⅰ. The New Federal State of China News
1. Florida Republican Sen. Marco Rubio said Aug 4 that China has weaponized America’s own “corporate lust for profits” against the U.S.
2. Bill Evanina, former director of the National Counterintelligence and Security Center, said the CCP has begun a “comprehensive, whole of government” effort to infiltrate and influence the U.S., through its United Front Work Department.
3. Beijing’s aggressive moves in the South China Sea and elsewhere have sparked a “sense of urgency” inside the Pentagon, the U.S. military ‘s top Pacific commander said Aug 4, pledging that America and its allies will work together to push back on China’s quest for global dominance.
4. U.S. Senators Marco Rubio (R-FL) and John Barrasso (R-WY) introduced legislation that would prohibit multilateral development banks from lending to projects controlled by the People’s Republic of China (PRC) and Chinese Communist Party (CCP). Multilateral banks include the World Bank, Inter-American Development Bank, Asian Development Bank, the African Development Bank, and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development.
5. House Republicans introduced legislation last week that would mandate the State Department’s Rewards for Justice Program—which is best-known for placing bounties on the heads of global terrorist leaders—to give money to anyone with information about the coronavirus’s origins and the Chinese Communist Party’s subsequent cover-up.
6. Russia is joining China in a series of military exercises in August, a sign of growing coordination between the two countries that experts say threatens American security.
7. Matthew Pottinger, former Trump deputy national security adviser, warned on Aug 4 that the Chinese Communist Party is trying to spread disinformation about the origins of CCP-virus and cast doubt on coronavirus vaccines, saying the conspiracy theories might surpass those of Russia.
8. Adidas felt the impact of a CCP’s boycott of Western brands on its second-quarter results on Aug 5 and is also suffering from the closure of factories in major supplier Vietnam due to rising CCP –virus infections.
9. Four ships, including a guided missile destroyer and a missile frigate, will be deployed for a two-month period to southeast Asia, the South China Sea and the western Pacific, the navy said in the statement Aug 4. The Indian ships will take part in annual joint war drills with countries part of Quad.
10. China should end tax breaks for gaming companies as they have grown into global firms, a state-backed newspaper said Aug 5, in the latest threat to the multi-billion sector to drift out through state-controlled media.
11. Hong Kong’s June 4th Museum, dedicated to the victims of China’s 1989 crackdown on pro-democracy protesters in and around Beijing’s Tiananmen Square, reopened online on Aug 4 as “8964 Museum”, a pro-democracy group said.
12. CCP pharmaceutical Sinovac Biotech Ltd on Aug 4 said it will build a fill-and-finish vaccine plant in Chile with an investment of $60 million.
13. CCP’s government-run Global Times propaganda newspaper accused former American President Barack Obama of “neglect for life and human rights” in a column Aug 3 questioning the wisdom of Obama reportedly planning a large 60th birthday party this weekend, attempts to evidence that Americans’ embrace of individual rights and freedoms is inferior to Chinese communist authoritarianism.
14. The GOP lawmakers on the Senate Judiciary Committee are demanding a second hearing for President Biden’s Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) nominee due to new controversies that have come to light, including a previously undisclosed appearance on a Chinese propaganda media station and allegations of racism.
15. Strikes have taken place in China’s Belt and Road enterprises in Indonesia. The workers accused the Chinese company of maliciously defaulting on their wages and demanded that the workers cancel their labor contracts with the company. They had no choice and complain to the media for help.
II. World News
1. Worldwide cases of the CCP-virus surpassed 200 million on Aug. 4, with a more infectious variant of Delta ravaging the world and straining health care systems.
2. Myanmar’s ambassador Kyaw Moe Tun to the United Nations, who has refused to leave his post despite being fired after the February coup, has alerted the world body to a “reported massacre” by the military junta. He sent a letter to UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Aug 3 saying 40 bodies had been found in Kani township in July in the Sagaing area of northwestern Myanmar.
3. The U.S. State Department has approved a possible $750 million weapons sale to Taiwan, the government said Aug 4, a move that could add tension to already strained U.S.-China ties.
4. As Cuba breaks another single-day death record, victims of the CCP virus are buried in mass graves, sometimes with people who have not been tested for the pathogen. Bodies are littering the city, so much so that locals cannot escape the smell of decay in their homes.
5. The epicenter of a third wave of coronavirus cases in South Africa that’s being driven by the highly infectious delta variant has shifted from the economic hub of Gauteng to Cape Town and the surrounding Western Cape province, where hospitals are at risk of being overwhelmed. The Western Cape had more than 38,000 active Covid-19 cases by midday on Aug 3.
6. Former U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo spoke out Aug 4 night against the U.S. returning to coronavirus lockdowns, as some nations in Europe are doing. There’s scant evidence that these kinds of lockdowns do a whole lot of good and we know they’re doing an enormous amount of damage to the economy and to the mental health of the people that live there.
7. Earlier this week, Indonesia and the United States launched a “strategic dialogue” that will see the two nations commit to working more closely together on issues that include the CCP-virus pandemic, climate change, and maritime security in the South China Sea. The announcement was made on Aug 3 in Washington, D.C., during a five-day visit by Indonesian Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi.
Himalaya Moscow Katyusha (RU) Saturn & YinHe