Sins of the CCP #8: Brutal Repression of the Hong Kong People

Author: fl 
Editor: 阿斌 & XO酱
Material & Research: 云彩 & 文秀

This is Part 8 of the series “The Ten Sins of the CCP” produced by Himalaya Australia, where we exposed the CCP’s violent suppression of the Freedom Movement by the people of Hong Kong.

Mr Miles Guo, who leads the Whistleblower Movement, was the first person to warn the world that the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) was going to pass the “Extradition Bill” and implement the Greater Bay Area Plan about Hong Kong and Taiwan. This was the first step to conquering the world by the CCP and the first door to its death as well. On June 9, 2019, Hong Kong people who did not want to lose their freedom, began the first of a series of mass protests. The grief of Hong Kong began from that day.

Image shows millions of protestors on the street of Hong Kong

What started the protest?

In February 2019, the Hong Kong Government proposed an amendment to the the Fugitive Offenders Ordnance (FOO) and the Mutual Legal Assistance In Criminal Matters Ordnance (MLA), in response to the murder of a Hong Kong girl by her boyfriend in Taiwan in February 2018. There are two main changes to be made to the FOO and MLAO. The first is that it will allow the extradition of suspects to mainland China, where judicial independence and human rights records are questionable, prompting strong reactions from various sectors in Hong Kong. Secondly, the amendments significantly expand executive discretion and gives the Chief Executive, Carrie Lam, too much power.

Mr Miles Guo revealed that according to information he received, Hong Kong’s Chief Executive Carrie Lam personally made the revision to the ordinances. The pro-China camp thought that the Bill would be passed by the Legislative Council without resistance, however that did not happen. The majority of Hong Kong people did not trust the authoritarian government of the CCP and they raised their voices to defend the democracy and rule of law in Hong Kong.

On May 20, 2019, Hong Kong Secretary for Security John Lee Ka-Chiu claimed that the work of the Legislative Council’s Bills Committee was no longer valid, that he would propose to bypass the Bills Committee and go straight to the Legislative Council for the Second Reading on June 12th. The Hong Kong people campaigned intensively to block this proposed Second Reading. The intense 2019–2020 Hong Kong Protests, also known as the Anti-Extradition Law Amendment Bill Movement, began.

Image shows a slogan at protest: Free Hong Kong, Revolution Now

The turnout at the protests got the CCP worried

On March 31, 2019, the Civil Human Rights Front launched its first anti-extradition protest march, participated by around 12,000 people. The second march on April 28th was immediately followed by a turnout of 130,000.  However, the Hong Kong government continued to do as it pleased, saying that the Second Reading of the Legislative Council would resume on June 12th, as scheduled. The Hong Kong community was in an uproar.

On June 9th, one million Hong Kong people participated in the anti-extradition protest march.  This was followed by a march launched by the Hong Kong Civil Human Rights Front on June 16th, in which some two million participants put forward five major demands, they are: (i) full withdrawal of the vicious amendment bill; (ii) release and exoneration of arrested protesters; (iii) retraction of the “riot” characterisation; (iv) establishment of an independent commission of inquiry into police behaviour, and (v) resignation of Carrie Lam.

On the evening of July 21st, a group of suspected triad members dressed in white showed up in Yuen Long, chasing and and attacking civilians and protesters indiscriminately with sticks.  They also attacked passengers on the platform of  Yuen Long West Railway Station and in the train carriages. The rampage lasted for two hours but the police did not arrive to stop it. 36 people, including journalists and members of the public, were injured and sent to hospital, with four seriously injured and one in critical condition. The incident then became commonly known as the “721 Yuen Long Attack”.

Image from showing the Yuen Long attack

On August 5, Hong Kong citizens launched a “three-strikes” and “non-cooperation movement”, which involved strikes at work, markets and schools, and affected MTR and airport flights, with more than 200 inbound and outbound flights cancelled. Train attack again took place at the Prince Edward Station. Riot police and the Special Tactical Squad rushed onto the platform and into the carriages, beating passengers indiscriminately with batons. Pepper spray was even sprayed at protesters who were already kneeling and holding their hands up. Forty people were arrested on the spot, and Prince Edward Station was closed to the media and medical staff. The internet and media described the incident as a clone of the 721 Yuen Long Attack. The incident kindled a lot of speculations and memorial rallies over whether there were any deaths at Prince Edward Station.

Fake Hong Kong police killed the Hong Kong people

Mr Miles Guo had earlier exposed that there were hundreds of thousands of Chinese troops from Shenzhen, Zhanjiang and Zhuhai that had infiltrated Hong Kong by wearing Hong Kong police uniforms. These illegal “Hong Kong police” were carrying out actual enforcement of martial law in Hong Kong, they exercised hooliganism and used triads to kill people on the streets. In the name of pacifying violence, they set up protesters and then arrested them. Hong Kong daughter Chen Yanlin was mercilessly murdered and dumped at sea for filming a mainland soldier changing into her mother’s boyfriend’s Hong Kong police uniform.

Poster for documentary “Inside the Red Brick Wall” about “Siege of the PolyU”

As the protests continued into September, “Five Demands, Not One Less” continued to be the main focus of the protests. October saw the first live fire injuries by Hong Kong police and the enforcement of China’s “Prohibition on Face Covering Regulation”. 

On November 12th, riot police broke into a number of Hong Kong campuses to arrest students. On November 16th, students of the Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) set up simple fortifications on the campus, and protesters moved in to confront the police. The following day, the confrontation intensified, with the police firing tear gas and rubber bullets, and using water cannon trucks and armoured vehicles to disperse the protesters. On November 18th, a blockade was erected to surround the entrance and exit of PolyU, and the siege lasted for over a week. A few protesters tried to leave by aerial slings and underground tunnels, but many more were arrested.  According to police, on that day alone, 1,458 rounds of tear gas, 1,391 rounds of rubber bullets, 325 rounds of bean bag rounds and 265 rounds of sponge grenades were fired; a total of 1,100 people were arrested or registered. The internet called it the “Siege of the PolyU”. Interestingly, the granddaughter of former Chinese Premier Zhu Rongji was rumoured to have been removed from the PolyU demonstration.

The PolyU event attracted international attention. November 20th saw the US Senate unanimously passing the Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act, as well as the Placing Restrictions on Teargas Exports and Crowd Control Technology to Hong Kong Act (PROTECT Hong Kong Act), which restricts the export of non-lethal weapons. November 24th saw a huge surge in voter turnout for 2019 Hong Kong District Council Election. The turnout on the day was a whopping 71.2%, with 2.94 million people voted. A number of representative figures who supported the Hong Kong government lost their race. A number of figures who were active during the 2019–2020 Hong Kong Protests were successfully elected. The election results were interpreted by outsiders as a vote of no confidence in the Hong Kong government.

The number of Hong Kong people who died in the movement

According to statistics from Hong Kong’s Security Bureau, as of November 21st, 2019, the number of people arrested in the 2019–2020 Hong Kong Protests which began in June, had reached 5,856. Hong Kong newspaper Ming Pao quoted police figures as saying that between June 9th and December 5th, the police had fired nearly 16,000 tear gas canisters, about 10,000 rubber bullets, nearly 2,000 bean bag rounds and 1,900 sponge grenades in the six-month period. The Civil Rights Watch criticised the scale and the number of tear gas canisters used by the police were akin to a military operation.

Sadly, Hong Kong saw thousands of unnatural deaths in the first 10 months of 2019, with a staggering number of “suicides” amongst students. Most of them were found dressed in black, with their hands tied, either floating in the sea or had fallen from heights. The Hong Kong police said none of the alleged suicides were suspicious. The public sensed that these “suicides” of protesters were in fact murders committed by the police.

The CCP’s evil deeds in Hong Kong have deeply wounded the hearts of Hong Kong people. Protesters have been arrested, raped and  murdered under the guise of suicide. Pro-democracy legislators have been beaten, arrested and sent into exile. The rule of law and democracy have disappeared and the society has been torn apart. As the people of Hong Kong have said, what they have experienced since the 2019-2020 Hong Kong Protests has made it impossible for Hong Kong to return to the past.  Hong Kong is aggrieved and its pain can never be forgotten.

Disclaimer: The views expressed here are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of



2. 香港反送中运动大事记



5. 香港民主派47人初选案

Disclaimer: The views expressed here are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments